I saw this post on Facebook yesterday (above). I see something like it almost every day. It’s one of the things I like least about Facebook and the Internet in general. I don’t block or avoid these types of posts, because I am a grown up. I can handle it when confronted with opinion that runs contrary to my own. That’s the difference between a thinking person and a blind partisan. Dissenting opinions can’t hurt me.
As I see these posts from time to time, I notice that every one of them have a combination of the same bits of rhetorical Lego, used to build grand cathedrals of flawed logic. There’s always something about the pledge of allegiance, some bit about patriots or “Amurka” (use redneck cadence). There’s the vilification of some liberal or another, usually a TV network like NBC or perhaps Micheal Moore or someone from Hollywood. The diatribes tend to employ a lot of ALL CAPS, bolding or underlining. Without exception each of these screeds sound ignorant as fuck when read aloud (trust me, try it).
On this example (above) I’m all for treating veterans well. I’m a veteran myself (of two military branches), but that doesn’t make me a better person. Veterans are just like any group of people. You have good ones and bad, patriotic and ambivalent, conservative and liberal. There are many other veterans who love this kind of patriotic feel-good nonsense, but I don’t. I would argue that the majority of the people who post flaming missives of military love have never served a day. They’re always the most reactionary about military budget cuts, perhaps because they are sensitive they never signed up.
Other than being nice to veterans, all the other bits of these deranged, recycled tirades are utter rubbish. For those worried about any combination of the issues above, let me assure you that no one is stopping you from doing anything. Including:
- Saying the pledge
- Loving Jesus
- Loving your mama
- Going to church
- Owning a gun
- Driving a truck
- Indoctrinating your poor children with the same horseshit
Let me also assure you Obama’s not going to take anything from you. The United Nations isn’t going to steal your farms or make your kids eat brie. You are suffering from paranoid delusions.
The only thing the rise of secularism is doing is making it harder for you to force your religion, politics and all around prehistoric beliefs on the rest of us. You may do as you please, but you cannot force me to say “under god” during the pledge. I won’t say it because I don’t believe it. And I will use my first amendment rights to mock, deride and in every way shame those who would force religion into the public sphere. America is 70% Christian, but the other 30% has exactly the same rights that you do.
Typing UNDER GOD in all caps or trying to force prayer back into public school does not make you a better person, rather, it means you are probably an asshole. If you think people should be coerced into chanting “under god,” you really don’t want freedom at all. You want theocracy. Since you seem to identify more with Iran than the U.S., perhaps you should consider a change of scenery. I’ll help you pack.